Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Student Stress

By Emma Shepperbottom

Being a student is stressful. I am usually level headed and handle the stress of homework and study well. But at the moment, I am having trouble with money. I've received a giant phone bill, two fines for parking in a no-standing zone (I was only parked there, because there were no other places to park), I need petrol to be able to travel from a to b and I owe my parents money.

I've worked up a hefty pile of bills for myself. When I was working full time, before I was a student, I was never stressed about money. The pile of bills never looked as huge as they do now. But I've never considered dropping out of the PWE course and going back to working full time. I never will. No matter how much debt I am in.

I enjoy being a PWE student so much, that although stressful, the lack of money in my wallet doesn't bring me down. I already feel like I have learnt so much, since starting this course and I know I've got even more to learn. But I love learning!

I am happier being a poor student than I was when I was working full time. At school, I'm surrounded by like-minded people and supportive teachers. It's a little community where people share ideas and knowledge. That's one of my favoriute things about this course. Quitting my job at the end of last year, so I could study more was a good choice.

I know that I'm not alone, most students are in the same boat as I am. So I have a little piece of advice. Next time you're feeling stressed about money, think about why you are doing this course and what you will get out of it. You will realise that lack of money now will be worth it in the long run. That's what keeps me happy.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your reflection, Emma. It is hard when you're having money problems -- I think many of us have been there at one stage or another. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the course and learning lots. It's one of the things I love about writing in general: there's always more you can learn. I tell my Novel 2 students that the day I think I have learnt all I can is the day I will give up writing, because that's the day I'll stop improving, and to me it's the learning and improving that's the exciting bit. Sounds like it might be for you too!

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete