Tuesday, August 10, 2010

People Are People

by Mark Simonato

The most daunting part of being a mature-age student is how to deal with the new generation; for most of them, you could be their parent.

My first semester at Victoria University (Professional Writing and Editing) was about observing the younger crowd and listening to what they had to say. I thought it was important to understand their way of thinking and how I could relate to it. Finding a common ground with another human is the perfect device for a successful first interaction.

It was not until a female student chatted to me about her morning make-up routine that I finally had a breakthrough: there is no difference between her and some female students I encountered twenty years ago.

I realised that the difference in various generations is mainly material (what new gadgets are available), but music and fashion are similar—they have just been recycled and reinvented to suit the modern world.

Feelings are the same. People are still self-consciousness; they have their fears, their hopes, and their dreams. The variety of students is alike: mainstream, alternative, outspoken, shy, diligent, lazy, serious, humorous and carefree. They want to be understood and heard, just as my generation wanted, and still do.

Once I realised that younger students feel and relate to my writing as much as a forty-year-old person would, I felt that as a writer, I’m widening my audience and I have something intelligent to say that can interest a broad range of ages.

I’ve never believed in labels, and labelling a generation is another way for society to pigeonhole humans. It’s also another tool to kill individualism.

1 comment:

  1. How true? It's great that you've come to the realisation that you have about the other students -- I know as a teacher we just see you all as students, and love the broad range of people we get into the course. The mix of both groups makes for dynamic and interesting classes. Younger and older students have plenty to offer each other, and I think the course would be poorer if we didn't have either group. I've seen many firm friendships develop between groups, which is always a great thing to see.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete