Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Growing Pains

By Angela Hryc

Life as a student can be exciting, yet challenging. I have experienced so much throughout my long journey, and there have been lots of ups and downs. But I have no regrets because it has made me into who I am today, a higher-ed tafe student.

From the very first day of primary school, I was officially considered a student. I was only five years old at the time, and had no idea about what was ahead of me. Starting at this age, your teachers seem to treat you differently, and teach you all the basic knowledge that we need to know. But the teachers didn't teach me the same way as I'm taught now. I was colouring in worksheets and playing class games, rather than taking notes and completing assignments as I do now.

But soon enough, I began to realise that being a student was not about having fun and colouring in pictures. As I moved up a year level, I found the things we learned much more challenging and the teachers became tougher.

Eventually, I reached high school and for the first year, it felt like a whole new world. It was so different compared to primary school, and I had to adjust to the new environment. The teachers were a lot stricter on handing in work, and didn't want to tolerate childish behaviour. But it didn't take long before I settled in, and understood how to deal with high school pressures.

Since finishing high school last year and currently a tafe student, I've learned a lot more about deadlines and responsibility of handing in work on time. I've also realised that I'm studying at tafe for my own benefit and I'm no longer treated as a young child.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Angela -- you're absolutely right. With each stage comes more independence and more responsibility for your own learning. Once you get to tertiary education (and even in the later years of high school) you've also got more freedom to study subjects that interest you, so hopefully that inspires you (and by "you" I mean everyone) to work harder because you're now learning things that really matter to you.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete