Monday, August 23, 2010

Networking

By Vicki Williams

During a quiet lunch with friends I uncovered a shocking revelation that prompted a three-hour discussion.

Lucy asked about a networking event I had recently attended. We began to discuss the event and then bang! Carol, a 22-year old student said "I don't understand why you would waste your time going to those events. What's the big deal? I've never networked and I don't ever intend to".

Amused by her response I attempted to explain the importance of networking for growing your business then realised that if you aren't in business then of course you are going to see networking differently. I sat back and listened as everyone else tried to show Carol the different aspects of networking, but she just wasn't buying it.

I tried to picture myself as a 22-year old student and how networking could affect my life. I decided that whether Carol realised it or not she was networking every day. I asked her the following questions:

"When you're in class, do you talk to your classmates about yourself, or things you are doing?"
She answered yes.

"Do you talk to your teachers and other staff about yourself, or things you're doing?"
she responded yes.

"Do you think your classmates and teaching staff know your strengths, your wants and your needs?"
After some thought, she agreed that they probably do.

"Do you have the contact details of your classmates and teachers, and do they have your's?"
Yes she replied.

"Carol, I imagine that you've been networking for quite some time."
"Have I really? How?

She was open for discussion and I wanted to make sure she got what networking really is, so I began explaining. "You see there are many different types of networkers."

  1. There are networkers who take a bucket full of business cards; their mission is to give them all out. They will sit back and wait for calls that will never come. Why? Because they don't stop long enough to get to know people.
  2. Another type of networker sits in the corner and waits for everyone to come to them. They attract other networkers of the same type. Usually they don't take the next step because they are afraid of meeting people. They may not give out their business card for fear of being rejected.
  3. The WIIFM (What's In It For Me) networker is only interested in themselves. They have no problems approaching people and handing out their business cards. If you watch them you will notice they only talk about themselves what they want, who you know and how you can help them. They'll connect with you later if they know you can assist them. Trust me, they don't get very far because the contacts they make soon dry up.
  4. Then there are the elite networkers 'the connectors'. These people find out the wants and needs of the people they connect with; they keep asking questions until they have an understanding of how they can genuinely serve you. These networkers aren't interested in what they get out of the connection that's not important. Their intention is to aid and assist you.

A long time ago, I learned that when you take your own needs out of the picture and focus on finding a way to help other people, you come to life and work from a different heart space and the results are rewarding.

Carol rang me the other day to tell me one of her teachers had put her name forward for a job interview. It seems that Carol has realised the value of connecting with others.

Pretty cool how networking works eh?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Vicki. I spent last weekend at Aussiecon 4, a world science-fiction convention in Melbourne. Each year, I attend at least one convention, though usually not a worldcon. As well as the panels, one of the most important aspect for me is networking -- catching up with other writers and editors, finding out what they're doing, who's publishing what -- who's looking for what. It's so important, as you say, and can be so much fun too.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete