Thursday, October 28, 2010

The perils of Internet dating

So, here I am. I've arranged to meet this guy at noon. I didn't really want to, I'm very busy with course stuff at the moment, and I have a class at 1:30. But he was getting angsty, because we have arranged to meet so many times before and it always fell through. Last time we talked I said I was going to start accepting other dates, which he was not happy about, so this morning he practically begged me to meet him today I told him I wouldn't have long. That was fine, he said, he just wanted to meet me, so I couldn't run away on him.

What do you suppose happened? Yep, I am sitting here in the proposed place, its 12:40 and he is nowhere to be seen. He is not answering his phone: he is not answering texts. I cannot get online from here, so I don't know if he has sent me a message that way to say he can't make it. I just got up and got myself a glass of water. I don't have any money on me. That is what he is for! But I am starving, so water will just have to do. I have no choice but to leave at 1, as I have to get to my Literature for Writers class, but what am I still doing sitting here? I should have left when he was 15 minutes late. Now he is nearly 45 minutes late. He is not coming. Grrrrr.

What is it about this guy that made me accept his coffee invitation over others in the first place? Well, to be honest it was because he had an advantage the others didn’t; we used to chat years ago, when I lived in Cowes. We lived 2 hours apart, so realised there was no point in meeting, but we did chat happily for a while. When he recently came across my profile again he was happy to find me living a lot closer, and I was happy to be found. I remembered thinking he was pretty cool back then. Your classic tall dark and handsome type. No kids ¾ that can be a good thing sometimes, a bad thing other times. Obviously only another parent is going to understand where and how children fit into your life, but it is much easier to date a non parent; no clashes with child-free weekends, no missing dates because he has to be with his kids for whatever reason. It's just my kids we have to work around when he has no kids. Like I said, easier.

It's not the first time I have been stood up for a date from someone I have met online. They have always had good (read “ridiculous”) excuses and I have given them the benefit of the doubt and another chance. Not sure I will this time. The amount of times our plans have fallen through has got to be telling me something. Listen to the universe Suellen, it usually knows what it is on about.

Well, I've had enough. Michael Kitson and his literature class awaits.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't that not knowing the worst thing? The not knowing while you're waiting, the never knowing what happened? Did you ever hear back? What happened? I'm itching to know more -- must be the writer in me, and the fact that you really got me in. Thanks. A great read.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol @ Tracey. I did hear back from him. He says he got stuck in traffic and left his phone at home. No apology though, just the explanation. I don't think I will bother making another date with him, but I will let you know if I change my mind :0)

    ReplyDelete