Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Change of Scenery.

By Emma Shepperbottom

Doing my homework at home is a very difficult task for me. There are so many distractions: t.v, my family and friends, Facebook and YouTube. They are just a couple of things that distract me from my school work.

Sometimes, if I'm doing a task that I'm not particular fond of, I find myself purposely procrastinating.

Noticing that this was becoming a problem, that caused a lot of stress come the day before an assignment was due I decided I needed to approach my homework in a different manner. I started going to Cafe Java, where I work and doing my homework there. With little to distract me, I found that I got a lot of work done there.

Of course it does mean that I have to hand write everything first, but sometimes I find that handwriting my work lets me get everything I'm thinking out. So I don't end up losing any good ideas of thoughts because I was correcting a misspelt word on spell check.

Not only do I get a lot of work done at Cafe Java, I also get to enjoy the fresh air and the environment around me can be used as a source of inspiration. Getting free coffee doesn't hurt either.

So when I go to Cafe Java to do my homework, everybody wins. I'm happy because I'm getting things done, my teachers are happy because my homework is handed in on time, my boss is happy because I'm buying food there, and the chef is happy because I go into the kitchen and say hello to him.

1 comment:

  1. Well, it does sound like you've got it all worked out, Emma, which is great. And you're taking part in a great literary tradition of writing in cafes -- plenty of writers are famous for having done this: JK Rowling is the most recent example. And if you enjoy it: why not? The main thing is that you've found an environment conducive to getting your work done. (My son has just discovered the State Library!)

    Happy writing -- even if it is only assignments.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete