Thursday, May 13, 2010

My Writing Process - The Conflicted Mind

My writing process. Where do I begin?

The start is usually the most common place, though I know several people that begin halfway through their novels with ripper middle scenes, but then find themselves with all this excellent writing with few links between. I know people that like to write the ending to their stories first, I've never tried it myself, but from what I've seen, the results can be great or ghastly.

Me? This isn't called 'The Conflicted Mind' for nothing. John Marsden told me (amongst others; while I wish I knew Mr. Marsden personally, I don't think that will happen) that there are four kinds of writers: Brick Layers, who create one perfect sentence at a time; Water Colourists, quick, talented workers that produce a good first draft; Architects, who plan extensively then write their piece; and Oil Painters, who don't plan and let the writing flow from them, saving editing for later.

I find myself to be a hybrid between a Brick Layer and an Oil Painter. I can create these wonderful 'one-liners' and have the rest of my scene mediocre, or I can just let the writing flow out of me... and have all my writing meager.

I am a writer full of self doubt, and because of this, every one of my stories has begun well(ish) and then given up on, because I've asked 'Where is this going?' and haven't gotten a response, I've thrown down the pen or slammed the laptop shut in frustration, unable to continue with such a horrible piece; even a simple negative workshop has the power to tear down the walls of my writing stronghold.

My physical writing process occurs when it's dark outside and way past bedtime. The only sound that can be heard is the tapping of fingers on keys or the scrawling of a pen. Perfect silence, no chance of interruption. Sleep deprivation is a small price to pay for a couple of hours of coherent writing. Being a young adult, there are many obligations to meet. I'm not saying that others don't have similar priorities in their lives, but the constant parental buzzing in the ears when one is trying to write is worse than a reoccurring drop of water on the forehead that can't be prevented. At night, silence is solace. The only problem once my mind has been emptied and the words are before me is trying to fall asleep. It's way too hard to slumber when you're exploring a fantasy world.

That's it, I suppose. Those writers who are in self doubt, I can't give much advice, because I haven't been given much myself; all I can say is what you write is yours, and if your heart and your creative mind tell you it's good, then don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Rhys Parkhill

Novel 2 Student

PWE 2010

2 comments:

  1. Welcome, Alena! It's lovely to see you here. I hope you find plenty to inspire you.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Rhys. I like John Marsden's analogies -- I haven't heard the types of writers expressed this way before. Hmm, what type of writer am I? Somewhere between the last three, I think. Certainly not a bricklayer, though I have a few friends who are. I'd be interested in what everyone else thinks they are... Guys?

    Hazel Edwards says there are two types: agonisers (they're the bricklayers) and splurgers. I'm definitely a splurger. I sit down, and go splat on the page. Usually -- and I do say "usually" -- the words flow. She also says that writers are either chickens or owls -- depending on what time you like to write (or write best). I'm an owl.

    I did note what you said about workshopping being capable of putting you off -- and I would say the remedy for that is what you said yourself in your last line. That was one terrific piece of advice, so mind you heed it!

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete